Thursday, May 1, 2008

A worthwhile cause...

Hey All,

I have recently reconnected with a friend of mine from JR High and through catching up have been touched by the story of her oldest daughter, Mary. 

When Mary was between 12 and 15 months old she was behind on her shots so they took the advice of their doctor, and decided to catch her up. Basically, Mary was given too many shots at once, and in Rachel's words, "A week later the lights went out." Mary stopped talking and just kind of went blank. Mary hasn't been medically diagnosed with Autism spectrum disorder yet but has an educational analysis of it. I am posting a link to Mary's chipin page where you can read her story, what they are doing for treatment, and you can donate to help Rachel's family with the expenses. I encourage you to take a look at the page if you get a chance because it will give you a much better idea of what this family is dealing then I can give. 

Rachel has another daughter, Leah, and is due to have baby #3 in early August. 

http://rescuemary.chipin.com/marys-rescue-fund

2 comments:

Joce said...

Anna, I have a good family friend who is dealing with Autism in her 3.5 yr. old son. I quickly looked at Mary's site and I think she would enjoy reading my friends Autism Journey Blog
http://gfcfkid.blogspot.com/
You should have her check it out. Dawn Coleman is her name and she's a fellow believer. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

Anna,

This is exactly what happened to my son, 8 years ago. I still dont know how the doctors can deny that some vacines cause autism in certian kids. This is why my daughter was and never will get her shots.

- Sarah