Monday, February 18, 2008

Our Baby Story Begins...

It was January 19th, 2008 and I was in for news that would dramatically change the course of this year for Anna and me-- we discovered that before the year would be out we'd not only be husband and wife, but mom and dad...

We spent the previous Saturday evening with our close friends Eric, Char, Peter and Cara over a hearty meal, car-crashing video games, and good conversation. After catching up with another small group of friends for a festive evening of karaoke Anna and I were more than ready for a more calming conclusion to our evening.

As it goes we settled into the living room in our Wilsonville apartment only to have Anna suggest I jump back out and grab a few necessary groceries and a movie to rent. Because I do everything my wife tells me--and I was in a movie-watching mood myself-- I dodged back out the door.

I came in the door and in usual fashion unloaded the contents of my pockets onto the counter top and side-stepped to quickly throw my jacket into our bedroom that enters out into the living room. As I backed out into the living room I caught caught sight of our bed, it having been made to intentionally catch my attention. Upon Anna's suggestion to take a closer look at the bed I stepped through the doorway and flipped on the light. It didn't take me long at all in surveying the room to take notice, laying flat on my side of the bed, the tiny Green Bay Packers jersey Anna's friends Sarah gave her for a possible "future necessity" after our wedding. (For the record, our babies will live forever in conflict between my team, the Seahawks and Anna's, the Packers--so if anyone has seen a Seahawks onesie I'm in need of one). I thought it was an odd thing for me to need to take notice of, seeing as I had known she received it as a gift and made several jokes about not allowing a baby of mine to ever have to wear it, but what she wanted me to recognize was the piece of plastic atop it--a pregnancy test.

I knew in my gut that there's be no other reason to create such a presentation than what was confirmed in two parallel lines--Anna is pregnant! We took some time to revel in the moment and made attempts at wrapping our minds around how our lives would soon be changing.

That's one little doodle that can't be undid. (Go see 'Juno' if you aren't familiar with this quote)

1 comment:

Everett Family said...

Haha! Awesome story. Go pack go!